Vox Sentences is your daily digest for what’s happening in the world, curated by Ella Nilsen. Sign up for the Vox Sentences newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox Monday through Friday, or view the Vox Sentences archive for past editions.
Reports indicate Trump once tried to fire special counsel Robert Mueller; Russian elections pit Putin against … himself.
That time Trump tried to fire Mueller
- There was an interesting development in the Russia investigation story late this week: President Donald Trump reportedly really wanted special counsel Robert Mueller out, according to a bombshell report by the New York Times. [NYT / Michael Schmidt and Maggie Haberman]
- Mueller has been investigating the Trump campaign’s alleged ties to Russian officials and whether Trump committed obstruction of justice by firing FBI Director James Comey. [Washington Post / Carol D. Leonnig, Ashley Parker, Rosalind S. Helderman, and Tom Hamburger]
- So in essence, Trump allegedly tried to fire the man who is investigating the firing of James Comey. That is, until White House counsel Don McGahn not only refused to do it but threatened to quit if Trump went through with it. [Vox / Andrew Prokop]
- Trump, who has reportedly grown increasingly frustrated with the Mueller investigation in recent months, built a case against Mueller around three points: 1) Mueller allegedly had some kind of dispute of membership fees at Trump’s National Golf Club, 2) Mueller previously worked at a law firm that represented Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, and 3) Mueller had interviewed for the FBI director position the day before his appointment as special counsel. [NYT / Michael Schmidt and Maggie Haberman]
- The latest New York Times report is yet Read More Here