Vox Sentences is your daily digest for what’s happening in the world, curated by Ella Nilsen. Sign up for the Vox Sentences newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox Monday through Friday, or view the Vox Sentences archive for past editions.
Trump mystifies everyone on immigration; North Korea is likely headed to the 2018 Winter Olympics.
Trump pushes a “bill of love” on immigration
- The American public got a rare glimpse of President Trump and congressional leaders negotiating an immigration deal today, and it was … something. (You can watch the full thing on C-SPAN, if you wish.) [C-SPAN]
- Trump sat down at the White House with both Democratic and Republican lawmakers and seemed to agree with everything presented at various points — including comprehensive immigration reform, which could give millions of undocumented people a pathway to citizenship. [NYT / Julie Hirschfeld Davis]
- The president said he wanted a bipartisan “bill of love” to protect 800,000 unauthorized immigrants known as DREAMers, but he also reiterated that he wanted his signature border wall as part of a deal (something Democrats are adamantly opposed to). [CNN / Phil Mattingly, Lauren Fox, and Tal Kopan]
- Trump also did some things that have conservatives worried, including a moment when he agreed to a suggestion made by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) of passing a “clean” DACA bill – in other words, one without the enhanced border security Republicans want. [David Mack via Twitter]
- In fact, Trump had to be reminded of Republican talking points on the issue by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA). [David Mack via Twitter]
- Trump also didn’t present a lot of substance when he was asked what his definition of a clean DACA bill was, responding, Read More Here