Vox Sentences is your daily digest for what’s happening in the world, curated by Ella Nilsen. Sign up for the Vox Sentences newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox Monday through Friday, or view the Vox Sentences archive for past editions.
Simone Biles is the latest gymnast to accuse former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar of abuse; French President Emmanuel Macron cracks down on migrants.
Simone Biles is the latest Olympian to open up about sexual abuse
- Gymnast and four-time Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles is the latest to go public with sexual abuse allegations against Larry Nassar, the former USA Gymnastics team doctor. [CNN / Emanuella Grinberg]
- Sharing her story on social media recently, Biles said she was inspired by the #MeToo movement and other women sharing their stories of sexual abuse and harassment over the years. Biles called for an investigation into USA Gymnastics. [Houston Chronicle / David Barron]
- Nassar has already pleaded guilty to seven first-degree sexual assault charges in a Michigan court. He’s due to be sentenced this week, and will have to face about 90 of his accusers as they testify about how the abuse impacted them. [NPR / Vanessa Romo]
- That’s not even all of the women who have come forward alleging Nassar abused them. The number is closer to 140, including Biles’s fellow Olympians Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas, and McKayla Maroney. [Associated Press]
- The abuse allegations Nassar has pleaded guilty to are horrific, including that he exposed himself to young girls and penetrated them with his fingers as he was working with them. [PBS Newshour / Joshua Barajas]
- There have also been calls to shut down Karolyi Ranch, the training center in Texas where the USA Gymnastic teams practice. Biles Read More Here