SHARE

The Cafe Milano flap has roots in a lawsuit between the first family and the chef.

Political divisiveness over the Trump family is spilling over into Washington, DC’s elite social scene after a restaurant mix-up and social media flap this weekend.

It all started when celebrity chef José Andrés, who owns about 10 restaurants in the DC area, tweeted a photo of himself standing alone, outside a Georgetown restaurant called Cafe Milano, looking exasperated.

Thank you @CafeMilanoDC Franco Nuschese! I was a guest of the #alfalfaclubdinner2018 “everyone”welcome to the after party, but I’m the only individual not allow in? Is because @IvankaTrump told you so? You should be ashamed of yourself Franco.@washingtonpost pic.twitter.com/iJ5wQM18Z6

— José Andrés (@chefjoseandres) January 28, 2018

Andrés claimed he was the only person who had been denied entry to an afterparty at Cafe Milano after the yearly Alfalfa Club dinner, an annual, moneyed Washington dinner whose speakers this year included former President George W. Bush, former Secretaries of State John Kerry and Madeleine Albright, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), and US Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts.

Andrés said he had attended the Alfalfa Club dinner but was stopped at the door at Cafe Milano as he tried to get into the afterparty. And he insinuated that Ivanka Trump had something to do with his invitation getting rescinded.

“‘Everyone welcome to the after party, but I’m the only individual not allowed in? Is because @IvankaTrump told you so?” he tweeted. Andrés’ tweet spread like wildfire on social media, getting retweeted nearly 13,000 times.

It was picked up by Mexico’s former Ambassador to China Jorge Guajardo, who slammed Cafe Milano’s owner Franco Nuschese, tweeting that Andrés was kicked out “apparently” because his presence made Ivanka Trump “uncomfortable.”

In a new low Read More Here