• If you plan to attend an office holiday party this year, keep in mind that it’s still a work event.
• The key is moderating yourself — especially when it comes to alcohol intake.
• Take steps, like eating beforehand and eschewing business talk, in order to have a successful and fun evening.
‘Tis the season — for your office’s annual holiday party.
Here’s hoping your bash is merry and bright. But, before you put on your Santa hat and go to town, just remember these kinds of Yuletide events are inherently risky. Mixing booze and coworkers and the stress of the holiday season can be a truly volatile combination.
It’s important to take steps to avoid humiliating yourself at this year’s festivities. After all, the night could turn out to be a fun time, spent celebrating the season with your colleagues. Or it could mutate into an evening of drunken disaster.
It all depends on your attitude.
Here are 15 tips to make sure your office holiday party is an unmitigated success.
DON’T MISS: Holiday office parties as we know them are dying
1. Ask about the dress code ahead of time
You need to find out what the dress code is and stick to it, career coach Barbara Pachter told Business Insider.
Pachter, the author of “The Essentials of Business Etiquette,” said you don’t want people talking about what you wore the day or night after the party. Whatever you wear, remember that it’s still a business event.
2. Don’t go on an empty stomach
Although there might be hors d’oeuvres, you should still eat at least a little bit before the party begins. If not, you may Read More Here